This post is intended for Huawei P9/P9+ owners out there who wont give a shit anymore to Huawei for their incapability of delivering proper Android update for their own products. This method might also applicable for another Huawei smartphone series.
Big thanks for TeamMT for dedicating their time to make Hw Firmware Finder app and also people in xda-developer forum.
In order to complete this tutorial, what you need to prepare are:
- Patient, big one, we’re dealing with Huawei here. Therefore, your battery should be at least 80% ??
- Internet quota for your smartphone, big one also, we’re dealing with big size files download. Average size could be 2GB++. Fast WiFi connection will be more helpful ?
- Decision whether or not you will buy another Huawei phone in the future?
This phase will guide you to get to know your device code, region code, install Firmware Finder App.
- First thing first to do -and it is crucial- is checking which region your P9+ device is. Simply dial *#*#2846579#*#*, choose “3. Network Information Query” and then “4. Vendor Country Info”.
In my case, my vendor id is hw (Huawei), I assume this is global device not locked/built for particular operator. Country code is spcseas for Asia outside China mainland. I got mine from Hongkong.
- Model number VIE-L29 represent my Huawei P9+ dual sim 4/64
- VIE-L29 is device model number
- C636 is region code, in this case Asia
- click on refresh icon in lower right to see the list of available firmware for your device
These steps will help you setting up proxy using your operator mobile broadband or through Wi-Fi connection. This proxy is required by Firmware Finder to “trick” the EMUI Updater/System Updater :)
— Proxy using mobile broadband
- Go to Settings -> More… -> Mobile network -> Access Point Names
- From there you can create new/duplicate APN entry using your operator settings. All you need to do is set Proxy value to localhost and Port to 8080
- The sample used here is using my operator Telkomsel (Indonesia).
— Proxy using Wi-Fi connection.
From your WiFi setting, you can add new WiFi network or edit current WiFi settings.
- To modify existing WiFi connection simply long press the WiFi name, there will be a pop up and select Modify network.
- Select “Show advance options” -> select proxy to manual.
- Proxy hostname: localhost
- Proxy port: 8080
Phase #3 Hunting the proper firmware
- Open Firmware Finder App
That’s all guys, very long steps eh? :)
I hope this tutorial will help you to upgrade your P9/P9+ device. Some Mate 8/9 users reported success upgrading their devices using this method.
ps: I re-flashed my P9+ with proper B362 FullOTA firmware :)